Monday, March 5, 2007

Minor Reflections

Students elections have begun this week on campus and due to the connections I have with one of the candidates running for office I guess I already know who I need to vote for out of loyalty. The campus paper is going to be flooded with complaints about the ridiculous nature of the campaigns all week long which means there won't be anything worthwhile for me to read each day but I can live with that. I might care more about what these candidates have to say if the BYUSA organization ever did anything that mattered to me. I am all for the parties they throw (if I went to parties) or the new syllabi on the website (if I cared that much about the professor's I sign up for) or the number of clubs available on campus (if I was social enough to ever actually join one of them). The BYUSA program won't ever effect me in a way that I pay attention to, so I don't really care about what the candidates have to say, I'm just doing my job as a loyal friend. I am fully aware that they do make a difference in some circles and that they do make improvements to the way of life for BYU students but I refuse to accept that those improvements matter to more than a few individuals here and there. Maybe if the BYUSA President was actually a student body president (I still don't understand why BYU doesn't have one of those) then I would care a little bit more. As it stands however, they don't do much more than organize service projects and I have to say that I have better things to deal with than that in my life at the moment.

I'm back to school this week and will admit that I was starting to get a little bit of cabin fever while spending four straight days in the apartment. I would have enjoyed the time more if I had been able to accomplish anything, but the nastiness of my sickness prevented me from doing anything other than lounging around feeling sorry for myself. Holly deserves and award for kindly dealing with my personality while sick. I don't wish that on anyone. Several days off of school and work have left me with a long list of things to do over the next few days and I'm glad that I seem to have the motivation to cross things off of that list for today at least. Tomorrow may be another story, but today is looking good so far.

This coming Wednesday marks the next floor hockey game for me to participate in and now that the teams have been properly ranked according to skill-level for the various tournaments I am looking forward to the challenge of playing goalie this week. The team finally figured out how to move properly on the offensive side of the court during the last game and while it may not be as easy next time around because we will more than likely play other guys and not girls; I think it was a large benefit to the team. Now my only worry is that with almost two and a half weeks off from playing goalie with any kind of pressure I may not be up to par during the game. Nothing to do about it but wait and see I suppose.

I returned to working one night a week at the SAS Custodial last Friday and have had mixed emotions about the experience. On one side I definitely can handle the kind of custodial work they do over there much better than I can the kind done in the dorms where I currently work, but at the same time the SAS Supervisor is not exactly the easiest person to get along with. Helaman Halls Custodial allows me to come home at 4 o'clock every day during the week and spend time with my wife which is something the SAS didn't allow, but the co-workers at the SAS are of a far better quality than those at Helaman Halls. In the end I guess I don't really care which one I work at as long as I get paid and find a way to get my 20 hours each week, but I would greatly prefer finding a new job that doesn't require me to pick up after other people all day long; especially not immature college students who I am positive are much worse than the ones I lived with in the dorms four years ago. The world really is going downhill with no sign of relief.

That's all my thoughts for today. I was feeling a bit reflective this morning and decided to comment on a few of life's interesting adventures.

No comments: